#15. Hijr *SURAH*
In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful
1. Alif Lam Ra. These are the Ayats of Revelation of a Qur'an
that makes things clear
2. Again and again will those who disbelieve wish that they had
bowed (to Allah's Will) in Islam
3. Leave them alone to enjoy (the good things of this life) and
to please themselves: let (false) Hope amuse them: soon will
knowledge (undeceive them)
4. Never did We destroy a population that had not a term decreed
and assigned beforehand
5. Neither can a people anticipate its Term nor delay it
6. They say: "O thou to whom the Message is being revealed! Truly
thou art mad (or possessed)!
7. "Why bringest thou not angels to us if it be that thou hast
8. We send not the angels down except for just cause: if they
came (to the ungodly) behold! no respite would they have!
9. We have without doubt sent down the Message; and We will
assuredly guard it (from corruption)
10. We did send apostles before thee amongst the religious sects
11. But never came an apostle to them but they mocked him
12. Even so do We let it creep into the hearts of the sinners
13. That they should not believe in the (Message); but the ways
of the ancients have passed away
14. Even if We opened out to them a gate from heaven and they
were to continue (all day) ascending therein
15. They would only say: "Our eyes have been intoxicated: nay we
have been bewitched by sorcery."
16. It is We who have set out the Zodiacal Signs in the heavens
and made them fair-seeming to (all) beholders
17. And (moreover) we have guarded them from every evil spirit
18. But any that gains a hearing by stealth is pursued by a
flaming fire bright (to see)
19. And the earth We have spread out (like a carpet); set thereon
mountains firm and immovable; and produced therein all kinds of
things in due balance
20. And We have provided therein means of subsistence for you and
for those for whose sustenance ye are not responsible
21. And there is not a thing but its (sources and) treasures
(inexhaustible) are with Us; but We only send down thereof in due
and ascertainable measures
22. And We send the fecundating winds then cause the rain to
descend from the sky therewith providing you with water (in
abundance) though ye are not the guardians of its stores
23. And verily it is We Who give life and who give death: it is
We Who remain Inheritors (after all else passes away)"
24. To Us are known those of you who hasten forward and those who
25. Assuredly it is thy Lord who will gather them together: for
He is Perfect in Wisdom and Knowledge
26. We created man from sounding clay from mud molded into shape
27. And the Jinn race We had created before from the fire of a
28. Behold! thy Lord said to the angels: "I am about to create
man from sounding clay from mud molded into shape
29. "When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed
into him of My spirit fall ye down in obeisance unto him."
30. So the angels prostrated themselves all of them together:
31. Not so Iblis: he refused to be among those who prostrated
32. (Allah) said: "O Iblis! what is your reason for not being
among those who prostrated themselves?"
33. (Iblis) said: "I am not one to prostrate myself to man whom
thou didst create from sounding clay from mud molded into shape."
34. (Allah) said: "Then get thee out from here; for thou art
35. "And the Curse shall be on thee till the Day of Judgment."
36. (Iblis) said: "O my Lord! give me then respite till the Day
the (dead) are raised."
37. (Allah) said: "Respite is granted thee"
38. "Till the Day of the Time Appointed."
39. (Iblis) said: "O my Lord! because Thou hast put me in the
wrong I will make (wrong) fair-seeming to them on the earth and I
will put them all in the wrong
40. "Except Thy servants among them sincere and purified (by Thy
41. (Allah) said: "This (Way of My sincere servants) is indeed a
Way that leads straight to Me
42. "For over My servants no authority shalt thou have except
such as put themselves in the wrong and follow thee."
43. And verily Hell is the promised abode for them all!
44. To it are seven Gates: for each of those Gates is (special)
class (of sinners assigned)
45. The righteous (will be) amid Gardens and fountains (of
46. (Their greeting will be): "Enter ye here in Peace and
47. And We shall remove from their hearts any lurking sense of
injury: (they will be) brothers (joyfully) facing each other on
thrones (of dignity)
48. There no sense of fatigue shall touch them nor shall they
(ever) be asked to leave
49. Tell My servants that I am indeed the Oft-Forgiving Most
50. And that My Penalty will be indeed the most grievous Penalty
51. Tell them about the guests of Abraham
52. When they entered his presence and said "Peace!" He said "We
feel afraid of you!"
53. They said: "Fear not! we give thee glad tidings of a son
endowed with wisdom."
54. He said: "Do ye give me glad tidings that old age has seized
me? Of what then is your good news?"
55. They said: "We give thee glad tidings in truth: be not then
56. He said: "And who despairs of the mercy of his Lord but such
as go astray?"
57. Abraham said: "What then is the business on which ye (have
come) O ye messengers (of Allah)?"
58. They said: "We have been sent to a people (deep) in sin.
59. "Excepting the adherents of Lut: them we are certainly
(charged) to save (from harm) all
60. "Except his wife who we have ascertained will be among those
who will lag behind."
61. At length when the messengers arrived among the adherents of
62. He said: "Ye appear to be uncommon folk."
63. They said: "Yea we have come to thee to accomplish that of
which they doubt
64. "We have brought to thee that which is inevitably due and
assuredly we tell the truth
65. "Then travel by night with thy household when a portion of
the night (yet remains) and do thou bring up the rear: let no one
amongst you look back but pass on whither ye are ordered."
66. And We made known this decree to him that the last remnants
of those (sinners) should be cut off by the morning
67. The inhabitants of the City came in (mad) joy (at news of the
68. Lut said: "These are my guests: disgrace me not:
69. "But fear Allah and shame me not."
70. They said: "Did we not forbid thee (to speak) for all and
71. He said: "There are my daughters (to marry). If ye must act
72. Verily by thy life (O Prophet) in their wild intoxication
they wander in distraction to and fro
73. But the (mighty) Blast overtook them before morning
74. And We turned (the Cities) upside down and rained down on
them brimstones hard as baked clay
75. Behold! in this are Signs for those who by tokens do
76. And the (cities were) right on the highroad
77. Behold! in this is a Sign for those who believe!
78. And the Companions of the Wood were also wrongdoers;
79. So We exacted retribution from them. They were both on an
open highway plain to see
80. The Companions of the Rocky Tract also rejected the apostles:
81. We sent them Our Signs but they persisted in turning away
82. Out of the mountains did they hew (their) edifices (feeling
83. But the (mighty) Blast seized them of a morning
84. And of no avail to them was all that they did (with such art
85. We created not the heavens the earth and all between them but
for just ends. And the Hour is surely coming (when this will be
manifest). So overlook (any human faults) with gracious
86. For verily it is thy Lord Who is the Master-Creator knowing
87. And We have bestowed upon thee the Seven Oft-Repeated
(verses) and the Grand Qur'an
88. Strain not thine eyes (wistfully) at what We have bestowed on
certain classes of them nor grieve over them: but lower thy wing
(in gentleness) to the Believers
89. And say: "I am indeed he that warneth openly and without
90. (Of just such wrath) as We sent down on those who divided
(Scripture into arbitrary parts)
91. (So also on such) as have made the Qur'an into shreds (as
92. Therefore by thy Lord We will of a surety call them to
93. For all their deeds
94. Therefore expound openly what thou art commanded and turn
away from those who join false gods with Allah
95. For sufficient are We unto thee against those who scoff
96. Those who adopt with Allah another god: but soon will they
come to know
97. We do indeed know how thy heart is distressed at what they
98. But celebrate the praises of thy Lord and be of those who
prostrate themselves in adoration
99. And serve thy Lord until there come unto thee the Hour that
Back To Index Page