#26. Shuaraa *SURAH*
In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful
1. Ta Sin Mim.
2. These are Verses of the Book that makes (things) clear
3. It may be thou frettest thy soul with grief that they do not
4. If (such) were Our Will We could send down to them from the
sky a Sign to which they would bend their necks in humility
5. But there comes not to them a newly-revealed message from
(Allah) Most Gracious but they turn away therefrom
6. They have indeed rejected (the Message): so they will know
soon (enough) the truth of what they mocked at!
7. Do they not look at the earth how many noble things of all
kinds we have produced therein?
8. Verily in this is a Sign: but most of them do not believe
9. And verily thy Lord is He the Exalted in Might Most Merciful
10. Behold thy Lord called Moses: "Go to the people of iniquity
11. "The people of Pharaoh: will they not fear Allah?"
12. He said: "O my Lord! I do fear that they will charge me with
13. "My breast will be straitened and my speech may not go
(smoothly): so send unto Aaron
14. "And (further) they have a charge of crime against me; and I
fear they may slay me."
15. Allah said: "By no means! proceed then both of you with Our
Signs; We are with you and will listen (to your call)
16. "So go forth both of you to Pharaoh and say: `We have been
sent by the Lord and Cherisher of the Worlds
17. " `Send thou with us the Children of Israel.'"
18. (Pharaoh) said: "Did we not cherish thee as a child among us
and did thou not stay in our midst many years of thy life?
19. "And thou didst a deed of thine which (thou knowest) thou
didst and thou art an ungrateful (wretch)!"
20. Moses: "I did it then when I was in error"
21. "So I fled from you (all) when I feared you; but my Lord has
(since) invested me with judgment (and wisdom) and appointed me
as one of the apostles
22. "And this is the favor with which thou dost reproach me that
thou hast enslaved the Children of Israel"
23. Pharaoh said: "And what is the `Lord and Cherisher of the
24. (Moses) said: "The Lord and Cherisher of the heavens and the
earth and all) between if ye want to be quite sure."
25. (Pharaoh) said to those around: "Do ye not listen (to what he
26. (Moses) said: "Your Lord and the Lord of your fathers from
27. (Pharaoh) said: "Truly your apostle who has been sent to you
is a veritable madman!"
28. (Moses) said: "Lord of the East and the West and all between!
If ye only had sense!"
29. (Pharaoh) said: "If thou dost put forward any god other than
me I will certainly put thee in prison!"
30. (Moses) said: "Even if I showed you something clear (and)
31. (Pharaoh) said: "Show it then if thou tellest the truth!"
32. So (Moses) threw his rod and behold it was a serpent plain
(for all to see)!
33. And he drew out his hand and behold it was white to all
34. (Pharaoh) said to the Chiefs around him: "This is indeed a
35. "His plan is to get you out of your land by his sorcery; then
what is it ye counsel?"
36. They said: "Keep him and his brother in suspense (for a
while) and dispatch to the Cities heralds to collect
37. "And bring up to thee all (our) sorcerers well-versed."
38. So the sorcerers were got together for the appointment of a
39. And the people were told: "Are ye (now) assembled?
40. "That we may follow the sorcerers (in religion) if they win?"
41. So when the sorcerers arrived they said to Pharaoh: "Of
course shall we have a (suitable) reward if we win?"
42. He said: "Yea (and more) for ye shall in that case be (raised
to posts) nearest (to my person)."
43. Moses said to them: "Throw ye that which ye are about to
44. So they threw their ropes and their rods and said: "By the
might of Pharaoh it is we who will certainly win!"
45. Then Moses threw his rod when behold it straightway swallows
up all the falsehoods which they fake!
46. Then did the sorcerers fall down prostrate in adoration
47. Saying: "We believe in the Lord of the Worlds"
48. "The Lord of Moses and Aaron."
49. Said (Pharaoh): "Believe ye in him before I give you
permission? Surely he is your leader who has taught you sorcery!
But soon shall ye know! "But sure I will cut off your hands and
your feet on opposite sides and I will cause you all to die on
50. They said: "No matter! for us we shall but return to our
51. "Only our desire is that our Lord will forgive us our faults
that we may become foremost among the Believers!"
52. By inspiration We told Moses: "Travel by night with My
servants; for surely ye shall be pursued."
53. Then Pharaoh sent heralds to (all) the Cities
54. (Saying): "These (Israelites) are but a small band
55. "And they are raging furiously against us
56. "But we are a multitude amply fore-warned."
57. So We expelled them from gardens springs
58. Treasures and every kind of honorable position
59. Thus it was but We made the Children of Israel inheritors of
60. So they pursued them at sunrise
61. And when the two bodies saw each other the people of Moses
said: "We are sure to be overtaken."
62. (Moses said: "By no means! my Lord is with me! Soon will He
63. Then We told Moses by inspiration: "Strike the sea with thy
rod." So it divided and each separate part become like the huge
firm mass of a mountain
64. And We made the other party approach thither
65. We delivered Moses and all who were with him
66. But We drowned the others
67. Verily in this is a Sign: but most of them do not believe
68. And verily thy Lord is He the Exalted in Might Most Merciful
69. And rehearse to them (something of) Abraham's story
70. Behold he said to his father and his people: "What worship
71. They said: "We worship idols and we remain constantly in
attendance on them."
72. He said: "Do they listen to you when ye call (on them)
73. "Or do you good or harm?"
74. They said: "Nay but we found our fathers doing thus (what we
75. He said: "Do ye then see whom ye have been worshipping"
76. "Ye and your fathers before you?"
77. "For they are enemies to me; not so the Lord and Cherisher of
78. "Who created me and it is He Who guides me"
79. "Who gives me food and drink"
80. "And when I am ill it is He Who cures me"
81. "Who will cause me to die and then to live (again)"
82. "And Who I hope will forgive me my faults on the Day of
83. O my Lord! bestow wisdom on me and join me with the righteous
84. "Grant me honorable mention on the tongue of truth among the
85. "Make me one of the inheritors of the Garden of Bliss
86. "Forgive my father for that he is among those astray
87. "And let me not be in disgrace on the Day when (men) will be
88. The Day whereon neither wealth nor sons will avail
89. "But only he (will prosper) that brings to Allah a sound
90. "To the righteous the Garden will be brought near
91. "And to those straying in Evil the Fire will be placed in
92. "And it shall be said to them: `Where are the (gods) ye
93. " `Besides Allah? Can they help you or help themselves?'
94. "Then they will be thrown headlong into the (Fire) they and
those straying in Evil
95. "And the whole hosts of Iblis together
96. "They will say there in their mutual bickerings
97. " `By Allah we were truly in an error manifest
98. " `When we held you as equals with the Lord of the Worlds
99. " `And our seducers were only those who were steeped in
100. " `Now then we have none to intercede (for us)
101. " `Nor a single friend to feel (for us)
102. " `Now if we only had a chance of return we shall truly be
of those who believe!' "
103. Verily in this is a Sign but most of them do not believe
104. And verily the Lord is He the Exalted in Might Most Merciful
105. The people of Noah rejected the apostles
106. Behold their brother Noah said to them: "Will ye not fear
107. "I am to you an apostle worthy of all trust:
108. "So fear Allah and obey me
109. "No reward do I ask of you for it: my reward is only from
the Lord of the Worlds
110. "So fear Allah and obey me."
111. They said: "Shall we believe in thee when it is the meanest
that follow thee?"
112. He said: "And what do I know as to what they do?
113. "Their account is only with my Lord if ye could (but)
114. "I am not one to drive away those who believe
115. "I am sent only to warn plainly in public."
116. They said: "If thou desist not O Noah! thou shalt be stoned
117. He said: "O my Lord! truly my people have rejected me
118. "Judge thou then between me and them openly and deliver me
and those of the Believers who are with me."
119. So we delivered him and those with him in the Ark filled
(with all creatures)
120. Thereafter We drowned those who remained behind
121. Verily in this is a Sign: but most of them do not believe
122. And verily thy Lord is He the Exalted in Might Most Merciful
123. The `Ad (people) rejected the apostles
124. Behold their brother Hud said to them: "Will ye not fear
125. "I am to you an apostle worthy of all trust
126. "So fear Allah and obey me
127. "No reward do I ask of you for it: my reward is only from
the Lord of the Worlds
128. "Do ye build a landmark on every high place to amuse
129. "And do ye get for yourselves fine buildings in the hope of
living therein (forever)?
130. "And when ye exert your strong hand do ye do it like men of
131. "Now fear Allah and obey me
132. "Yea fear Him Who has bestowed on you freely all that ye
133. "Freely has He bestowed on you cattle and sons
134. And Gardens and Springs
135. "Truly I fear for you the Penalty of a Great Day."
136. They said: "It is the same to us whether thou admonish us or
be not among (our) Admonishers!
137. "This is no other than a customary device of the ancients
138. "And we are not the ones to receive Pains and Penalties!"
139. So they rejected him and We destroyed them verily in this is
a Sign: but ! most of them do not believe.
140. And verily thy Lord is He the Exalted in Might Most Merciful
141. The Thamud (people) rejected the apostles.
142. Behold their brother Salih said to them: "Will you fear
143. "I am to you an apostle worthy of all trust
144. "So fear Allah and obey me
145. "No reward do I ask of you for it: my reward is only from
the Lord of the Worlds
146. "Will ye be left secure in (the enjoyment of) all that ye
147. "Gardens and Springs
148. "And corn-fields and date-palms with spathes near breaking
with the weight of fruit)?
149. "And ye carve house out of (rocky) mountains with great
150. "But fear Allah and obey me
151. "And follow not the bidding of those who are extravagant?
152. "Who make mischief in the land and mend not (their ways)."
153. They said: "Thou art only the of those bewitched!
154. "Thou art no more than a mortal like us: then bring us a
Sign if thou tellest the truth!"
155. He said: "Here is a she-camel: she has a right of watering
and ye have a right of watering (severally) on a day appointed
156. "Touch her not with harm lest the Penalty of a Great Day
157. But they hamstrung her: then did they become full of regrets
158. But the Penalty seized them. Verily in this is a Sign: but
most of them do not believe
159. And verily thy Lord is He the Exalted in Might Most Merciful
160. The people of Lut rejected the apostles
161. Behold their brother Lut said to them: "Will ye not fear
162. "I am to you an apostle worthy of all trust
163. "So fear Allah and obey me
164. "No reward do I ask of you for it: my reward is only from
the Lord of the Worlds
165. "Of all the creatures in the world will ye approach males
166. "And leave those whom Allah has created for you to be your
mates? Nay ye are a people transgressing (all limits)!"
167. They said: "If thou desist not O Lut! thou wilt assuredly be
168. He said: "I do detest your doings."
169. "O my Lord! deliver me and my family from such things as
170. So We delivered him and his family all
171. Except an old woman who lingered behind
172. But the rest We destroyed utterly
173. We rained down on them a shower (of brimstone): and evil was
the shower on those who were admonished (but heeded not)!?"
174. Verily in this is a Sign: but most of them do not believe
175. And verily thy Lord is He the Exalted in Might Most Merciful
176. The Companions of the Wood rejected the apostles
177. Behold Shuaib said to them: "Will ye not fear (Allah)?
178. "I am to you an apostle worthy of all trust
179. "So fear Allah and obey me
180. "No reward do I ask of you for it: my reward is only from
the Lord of the Worlds
181. "Give just measure and cause no loss (to others by fraud)
182. "And weigh with scales true and upright
183. "And withhold not things justly due to men nor do evil in
the land working mischief
184. "And fear Him Who created you and (Who created) the
generations before (you)
185. They said: "Thou art only one of those bewitched!
186. "Thou art no more than a mortal like us and indeed we think
thou art a liar!
187. "Now cause a piece of the sky to fall on us if thou art
188. He said: "My Lord knows best what ye do."
189. But they rejected him. Then the punishment of a day of
overshadowing gloom seized them and that was the Penalty of a
190. Verily in that is a Sign: but most of them do not believe
191. And verily thy Lord is He. The Exalted in Might Most
192. Verily this is a Revelation from the Lord of the Worlds
193. With it came down the Spirit of Faith and Truth
194. To thy heart and mind that thou mayest admonish
195. In the perspicuous Arabic tongue
196. Without doubt it is (announced) in the mystic Books of
197. Is it not a Sign to them that the learned of the Children of
Israel knew it (as true)?
198. Had We revealed it to any of the non-Arabs
199. And had he recited it to them they would not have believed
200. Thus have We caused it to enter the hearts of the Sinners
201. They will not believe in it until they see the grievous
202. But the (Penalty) will come to them of a sudden while they
perceive it not;
203. Then they will say: "Shall we be respited?"
204. Do they then ask for Our Penalty to be hastened on?
205. Seest thou? If We do let them enjoy (this life) for a few
206. Yet there comes to them at length the (Punishment) which
they were promised!
207. It will profit them not that they enjoyed (this life)!
208. Never did We destroy a population but had its warners
209. By way of reminder; and We never are unjust
210. No evil ones have brought down this (Revelation):
211. It would neither suit them nor would they be able (to
212. Indeed they have been removed far from even (a chance of)
213. So call not on any other god with Allah or thou wilt be
among those underthe Penalty
214. And admonish thy nearest kinsmen
215. And lower thy wing to the Believers who follow thee
216. Then if they disobey thee say: "I am free (of
responsibility) for what ye do!"
217. And put thy trust on the Exalted in Might the Merciful
218. Who seeth thee standing forth (in prayer)
219. And thy movements among those who prostrate themselves
220. For it is He Who heareth and knoweth all things
221. Shall I inform you (O people!) on whom it is that the evil
222. They descend on every lying wicked person
223. (Into whose ears) they pour hearsay vanities and most of
them are liars
224. And the Poets it is those straying in Evil who follow them:
225. Seest thou not that they wander distracted in every valley?
226. And that they say what they practice not?
227. Except those who believe work righteousness engage much in
the remembrance of Allah and defend themselves only after they
are unjustly attacked. And soon will the unjust assailants know
what vicissitudes their affairs will take!
Back To Index Page