#34. Sabaa *SURAH*
In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful
1. Praise be to Allah to Whom belong all things in the heavens
and on earth: to Him be Praise in the Hereafter: and He is Full
of Wisdom acquainted with all things
2. He knows all that goes into the earth and all that comes out
thereof; all that comes down from the sky and all that ascends
thereto: and He is the Most Merciful the Oft-Forgiving
3. The Unbelievers say "Never to us will come the hour": say
"Nay! but most surely by my Lord it will come upon you by Him Who
knows the unseen from Whom is not hidden the least little atom in
the Heavens or on earth: nor is there anything less than that or
greater but is in the Record Perspicuous
4. That He may reward those who believe and work deeds of
righteousness: for such is Forgiveness and a Sustenance Most
5. But those who strive against Our Signs to frustrate them for
such will be a Penalty a Punishment most humiliating
6. And those to whom knowledge has come see that the (Revelation)
sent down to thee from thy Lord that is the Truth and that it
guides to the Path of the Exalted (in Might) Worthy of all praise
7. The Unbelievers say (in ridicule): "Shall we point out to you
a man that will tell you when ye are all scattered to pieces in
disintegration that ye shall (then be raised) in a New Creation?
8. "Has he invented a falsehood against Allah or has a spirit
(seized) him?" Nay it is those who believe not in the Hereafter
that are in (real) Penalty and in farthest Error
9. See they not what is before them and behind them of the sky
and the earth? If We wished We could cause the earth to swallow
them up or cause a piece of the sky to fall upon them. Verily in
this is a Sign for every devotee that turns to Allah (in
10. We bestowed Grace aforetime on David from Ourselves: "O ye
Mountains! sing ye back the Praises of Allah with him! and ye
birds (also)! and We made the iron soft for Him
11. (Commanding) "Make thou coats of mail balancing well the
rings of chain armor and work ye righteousness; for be sure I see
(clearly) all that ye do."
12. And to Solomon (We made) the Wind (obedient): its early
morning (stride) was a month's (journey) and its evening (stride)
was a month's (journey); and We made a Font of molten brass to
flow for him; and there were Jinns that worked in front of him by
the leave of his Lord and if any of them turned aside from Our
command We made Him taste of the Penalty of the Blazing Fire
13. They worked for him as he desired (making) Arches Images
Basins as large as Reservoirs and (cooking) Cauldrons fixed (in
their places): "Work ye sons of David with thanks! But few of My
servants are grateful!"
14. Then when We decreed (Solomon's) death nothing showed them
his death except a little worm of the earth which kept (slowly)
gnawing away at his staff: so when he fell down the Jinns saw
plainly that if they had known the unseen they would not have
tarried in the humiliating Penalty (of their Task)
15. There was for Saba' aforetime a Sign in their homeland two
Gardens to the right and to the left. Eat of the Sustenance
(provided) by your Lord and be grateful to Him: a territory fair
and happy and a Lord Oft-Forgiving!
16. But they turned away (from Allah) and We sent against them
the flood (released) from the Dams and We converted their two
Garden (rows) into "gardens" producing bitter fruit and tamarisks
and some few (stunted) Lote trees
17. That was the Requital We gave them because they ungratefully
rejected Faith: and never do We give (such) requital except to
such as are ungrateful rejecters
18. Between them and the Cities on which We had poured Our
blessings We had placed Cities in prominent positions and between
them We had appointed stages of journey in due proportion:
"Travel therein secure by night and by day."
19. But they said: "Our Lord! place longer distances between our
journey stages." But they wronged themselves (therein). At length
We made them as a tale (that is told) and We dispersed them all
in scattered fragments. Verily in this are Signs for every (soul
that is) patiently constant and grateful
20. And on them did Satan prove true his idea and they followed
him all but a Party that believed
21. But he had no authority over them except that We might test
the man who believes in the Hereafter from him who is in doubt
concerning it: and thy Lord doth watch over all things
22. Say: "Call upon other (gods) whom ye fancy besides Allah:
they have no power not the weight of an atom in the heavens or on
earth; no (sort of) share have they therein nor is any of them a
helper to Allah
23. "No intercession can avail in His Presence except for those
for whom He has granted permission. So far (is this the case)
that when terror is removed from their hearts (at the Day of
Judgement then) will they say `What is it that your Lord
commanded?' They will say `That which is true and just; and He is
the Most High Most Great.'"
24. Say: "Who gives you sustenance from the heavens and the
earth?" Say: "It is Allah and certain it is that either we or ye
are on right guidance or in manifest error!"
25. Say: "Ye shall not be questioned as to our sins nor shall we
be questioned as to what ye do."
26. Say: "Our Lord will gather us together and will in the end
decide the matter between us (and you) in truth and justice: and
He is the One to decide the One Who knows all."
27. Say: "Show me those whom ye have joined with Him as partners:
by no means (can ye). Nay He is Allah the Exalted in Power the
28. We have not sent thee but as a universal (Messenger) to men
giving them glad tidings and warning them (against sin) but most
men understand not
29. They say: "When will this promise (come to pass) if ye are
telling the truth?"
30. Say: "The appointment to you is for a day which ye cannot put
back for an hour nor put forward."
31. The Unbelievers say: "We shall neither believe in this
scripture nor in (any) that (came) before it." Couldst thou but
see when the wrong- doers will be made to stand before their Lord
throwing back the word (of blame) on one another! Those who had
been despised will say to the arrogant ones: "Had it not been for
you we should certainly have been believers!"
32. The arrogant ones will say to those who had been despised:
"Was it we who kept you back from Guidance after it reached you?
Nay rather it was ye who transgressed."
33. Those who had been despised will say to the arrogant ones:
"Nay! it was a plot (of yours) by day and by night. Behold! ye
(constantly) ordered us to be ungrateful to Allah and to
attribute equals to Him!" They will declare (their) repentance
when they see the Penalty: We shall put yokes on the necks of the
Unbelievers: it would only be a requital for their (ill) deeds
34. Never did We send a Warner to a population but the wealthy
ones among them said: "We believe not in the (message) with which
ye have been sent."
35. They said: "We have more in wealth and in sons and we cannot
36. Say: "Verily my Lord enlarges and restricts the provision to
whom He pleases but most men understand not."
37. It is not your wealth nor your sons that will bring you
nearer to Us in degree: but only those who believe and work
Righteousness these are the ones for whom there is a multiplied
Reward for their deeds while secure they (reside) in the
dwellings on high!
38. Those who strive against Our Signs to frustrate them will be
given over into Punishment
39. Say: "Verily my Lord enlarges and restricts the Sustenance to
such of His servants as He pleases: and nothing do ye spend in
the least (in his cause) but He replaces it: for He is the Best
of those Who grant Sustenance
40. One day He will gather them all together and say to the
angels "Was it you that these men used to worship?"
41. They will say "Glory to thee! Our (tie) is with thee as
Protector not with them. Nay but they worshipped the Jinns: most
of them believed in them."
42. So on that day no power shall they have over each other for
profit or harm: and We shall say to the wrong-doers "Taste ye the
penalty of the Fire the which ye were wont to deny!"
43. When Our Clear Signs are rehearsed to them they say "This is
only a man who wishes to hinder you from the (worship) which your
fathers practiced." And they say "This is only a falsehood
invented!" And the Unbelievers say of the Truth when it comes to
them "This is nothing but evident magic!"
44. But We had not given them Books which they could study nor
sent apostles to them before thee as Warners
45. And their predecessors rejected (the Truth); these have not
received a tenth of what We had granted to those: yet when they
rejected My apostles how (terrible) was My rejection (of them)!
46. Say: "I do admonish you on one point: that ye do stand up
before Allah (it may be) in pairs or (it may be) singly and
reflect (within yourselves): your Companion is not possessed: he
is no less than a Warner to you in face of a terrible Penalty."
47. Say: "No reward do I ask of you: it is (all) in your
interest: my reward is only due from Allah: and He is Witness to
48. Say: "Verily my Lord doth cast the (mantle of) Truth (over
His servants) He that has full knowledge of (all) that is hidden"
49. Say: "The Truth has arrived and Falsehood neither creates
anything new nor restores anything."
50. Say: "If I am astray I only stray to the loss of my own soul:
but if I receive guidance it is because of the inspiration of my
Lord to me: it is He Who hears all things and is (ever) near."
51. If thou couldst but see when they will quake with terror: but
then there will be no escape (for them) and they will be seized
from a position (quite) near
52. And they will say "We do believe (now) in the (truth)": but
how could they receive (faith) from a position (so) far off
53. Seeing that they did reject faith (entirely) before and that
they (continually) cast (slanders) on the Unseen from a position
54. And between them and their desires is placed a barrier as was
done in the past with their partisans: for they were indeed in
suspicious (disquieting) doubt
Back To Index Page