#38. Saad *SURAH*
In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful
1. Sad. By the Qur'an full of Admonition: (this is the Truth)
2. But the Unbelievers (are steeped) in Self-glory and Separatism
3. How many generations before them did We destroy? In the end
they cried (for mercy) when there was no longer time for being
4. So they wonder that a Warner has come to them from among
themselves! And the Unbelievers say "This is a sorcerer telling
5. "Has he made the gods (all) into one Allah? Truly this is a
6. And the leaders among them go away (impatiently) (saying)
"Walk ye away and remain constant to your gods! For this is truly
a thing designed (against you)!
7. "We never heard (the like) of this among the people of these
latter days: this is nothing but a made-up tale!
8. "What! Has the Message been sent to him (of all persons) among
us?" But they are in doubt concerning My (own) Message! Nay they
have not yet tasted My Punishment!
9. Or have they the Treasures of the Mercy of thy Lord the
Exalted in Power the Grantor of Bounties without measure!
10. Or have they the dominion of the heavens and the earth and
all between? If so let them mount up with the ropes and means (to
reach that end)!
11. But there will be put to flight even a host of confederates
12. Before them (were many who) rejected apostles the People of
Noah and `Ad and Pharaoh the Lord of Stakes
13. And Thamud and the People of Lut and the Companions of the
Wood; such were the Confederates
14. Not one (of them) but rejected the apostles but My Punishment
came justly and inevitably (on them)
15. These (to-day) only wait for a single mighty Blast which
(when it comes) will brook no delay
16. They say: "Our Lord! Hasten to us our sentence (even) before
the Day of Account!"
17. Have patience at what they say and remember Our Servant David
the man of strength: for he ever turned (to Allah)
18. It was We that made the hills declare in unison with him Our
Praises at eventide and at break of day
19. And the birds gathered (in assemblies): all with him did turn
20. We strengthened his kingdom and gave him wisdom and sound
judgment in speech and decision
21. Has the Story of the Disputants reached thee? Behold they
climbed over the wall of the private chamber
22. When they entered the presence of David and he was terrified
of them they said: "Fear not: We are two disputants one of whom
has wronged the other decide now between us with truth and treat
us not with injustice but guide us to the even Path
23. "This man is my brother; he has nine and ninety ewes and I
have (but) one Yet he says `Commit her to my care' and is
(moreover) harsh to me in speech"
24. (David) said: "He has undoubtedly wronged thee in demanding
thy (single) ewe to be added to his (flock of) ewes: truly many
are the Partners (in business) who wrong each other: not so do
those who believe and work deeds of righteousness and how few are
they?". And David gathered that We had tried him: he asked
forgiveness of his Lord fell down bowing (in prostration) and
turned (to Allah in repentance)
25. So We forgave him this (lapse): he enjoyed indeed a Near
Approach to Us and a beautiful place of (final) Return
26. O David! We did indeed make thee a vicegerent on earth: so
judge thou between men in truth (and justice): nor follow thou
the lusts (of thy heart) for they will mislead thee from the Path
of Allah: for those who wander astray from the Path of Allah is a
Penalty Grievous for that they forget the Day of Account
27. Not without purpose did We create heaven and earth and all
between! That were the thought of Unbelievers! But woe to the
Unbelievers because of the Fire (of Hell)!
28. Shall We treat those who believe and work deeds of
righteousness the same as those who do mischief on earth? Shall
We treat those who guard against evil the same as those who turn
aside from the right?
29. (Here is) a Book which We have sent down unto thee full of
blessings that they may meditate on its Signs and that men of
understanding may receive admonition
30. To David We gave Solomon (for a son) how excellent in Our
service! Ever did he turn (to Us)!
31. Behold there were brought before him at eventide coursers of
the highest breeding; and swift of foot
32. And he said "Truly do I love the love of Good with a view to
the glory of my Lord" until (the sun) was hidden in the veil (of
33. "Bring them back to me." Then began he to pass his hand over
(their) legs and their necks
34. And We did try Solomon: We placed on his throne a body
(without life): but he did turn (to Us in true devotion)
35. He said "O my Lord! Forgive me and grant me a Kingdom which
(it may be) suits not another after me: for Thou art the Grantor
of Bounties (without measure)."
36. Then We subjected the Wind to his power to flow gently to his
order whithersoever he willed
37. As also the evil ones (including) every kind of builder and
38. As also others bound together in fetters
39. "Such are Our Bounties: whether thou bestow them (on others)
or withhold them no account will be asked."
40. And he enjoyed indeed a Near Approach to Us and a beautiful
Place of (final) Return
41. Commemorate Our servant Job behold he cried to his Lord: "The
Evil One has afflicted me with distress and suffering"!
42. (The command was given:) "Strike with thy foot: here is
(water) wherein to wash cool and refreshing and (water) to
43. And We gave him (back) his people and doubled their number as
a Grace from Ourselves and a thing for commemoration for all who
44. "And take in thy hand a little grass and strike therewith:
and break not (thy oath)." Truly We found him full of patience
and constancy: how excellent in Our service! Ever did he turn (to
45. And commemorate Our servants Abraham Isaac and Jacob
possessors of Power and Vision
46. Verily We did chose them for a special (purpose) proclaiming
the Message of the Hereafter
47. They were in Our sight truly of the company of the Elect and
48. And commemorate Ismail Elisha and Zul-Kifl: each of them was
of the company of the Good
49. This is a message (of admonition): and verily for the
Righteous is a beautiful place of (final) Return
50. Gardens of Eternity whose doors will (ever) be open to them
51. Therein will they recline (at ease); therein can they call
(at pleasure) for fruit in abundance and (delicious) drink
52. And beside them will be chaste women restraining their
glances (companions) of equal age
53. Such is the promise made to you for the Day of Account!
54. Truly such will be Our Bounty (to you); it will never fail
55. Yea such! But for the wrongdoers will be an evil place of
56. Hell! They will burn therein an evil bed (indeed to lie on)!
57. Yea such! Then shall they taste it a boiling fluid and a
fluid dark murky intensely cold
58. And other Penalties of a similar kind to match them!
59. Here is a troop rushing headlong with you! No welcome for
them! Truly they shall burn in the Fire!
60. (The followers shall cry to the misleaders:) "Nay ye (too)!
No welcome for you! It is ye who have brought this upon us! Now
evil is (this) place to stay in!"
61. They will say: "Our Lord! Whoever brought this upon us add to
him a double Penalty in the fire!"
62. And they will say: "What has happened to us that we see not
men whom we used to number among the bad ones?
63. "Did we treat them (as such) in ridicule or have (our) eyes
failed to perceive them?"
64. Truly that is just and fitting the mutual recriminations of
the People of the Fire!
65. Say: "Truly am I a Warner: no god is there but the One Allah
Supreme and Irresistible
66. "The Lord of the heavens and the earth and all between
Exalted in Might Able to enforce His will forgiving again and
67. Say: "That is a message supreme (above all)
68. "From which ye do turn away"
69. "No knowledge have I of the Chiefs on high when they discuss
(matters) among themselves
70. "Only this has been revealed to me: that I am to give warning
plainly and publicly."
71. Behold thy Lord said to the angels: "I am about to create man
72. "When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed
into him of My spirit fall ye down in obeisance unto him."
73. So the angels prostrated themselves all of them together
74. Not so Iblis: he was haughty and became one of those who
75. (Allah) said: "O Iblis! what prevents thee from prostrating
thyself to one whom I have created with My hands? Art thou
haughty? Or art thou one of the high (and mighty) ones?"
76. (Iblis) said: "I am better than he: Thou createdst me from
fire and him Thou createdst from clay."
77. (Allah) said: "Then get thee out from here: for thou art
78. "And My Curse shall be on thee till the Day of Judgement."
79. (Iblis) said: "O my Lord! give me then respite till the Day
the (dead) are raised."
80. (Allah) said: "Respite then is granted thee
81. "Till the day of the Time Appointed."
82. (Iblis) said: "Then by Thy power I will put them all in the
83. "Except Thy Servants amongst them sincere and purified (by
84. (Allah) said: "Then it is just and fitting and I say what is
just and fitting
85. "That I will certainly fill Hell with thee and those that
follow thee every one."
86. Say: "No reward do I ask of you for this (Qur'an) nor am I a
87. "This is no less than a Message to (all) the Worlds
88. "And ye shall certainly know the truth of it (all) after a
Back To Index Page