#39. Zumar *SURAH*
In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful
1. The revelation of this Book is from Allah the Exalted in Power
Full of Wisdom
2. Verily it is We Who have revealed the Book to thee in Truth:
so serve Allah offering Him sincere devotion
3. Is it not to Allah that sincere devotion is due? But those who
take for protectors other than Allah (say): "We only serve them
in order that they may bring us nearer to Allah." Truly Allah
will judge between them in that wherein they differ. But Allah
guides not such as are false and ungrateful
4. Had Allah wished to take to Himself a son He could have chosen
whom He pleased out of those whom He doth create: but Glory be to
Him! (He is above such things. He is Allah the One the
5. He created the heavens and the earth in true (proportions): He
makes the Night overlap the Day and the Day overlap the Night: He
has subjected the sun and the moon (to His law) each one follows
a course for a time appointed. Is not He the Exalted in Power He
Who forgives again and again?
6. He created you (all) from a single person: then created of
like nature his mate; and He sent down for you eight head of
cattle in pairs: He makes you in the wombs of your mothers in
stages one after another in three veils of darkness. Such is
Allah your Lord and Cherisher: to Him belongs (all) dominion.
There is no god but He: then how are ye turned away (from your
7. It ye reject (Allah) truly Allah has no need of you; but He
liketh not ingratitude from His servants: if ye are grateful He
is pleased with you. No bearer of burdens can bear the burden of
another. In the end to your Lord is your return when He will tell
you the truth of all that ye did (in B this life). For He
knoweth well all that is in (men's) hearts
8. When some trouble toucheth man he crieth unto his Lord turning
to Him in repentance: but when He bestoweth a favor upon him as
from Himself (man) doth forget what he cried and prayed for
before and he doth set up rivals unto Allah thus misleading
others from Allah's Path. Say "Enjoy thy blasphemy for a little
while: verily thou art (one) of the Companions of the Fire!"
9. Is one who worships devoutly during the hours of the night
prostrating himself or standing (in adoration) who takes heed of
the Hereafter and who places his hope in the Mercy of his Lord
(like one who does not)? Say: "Are those equal those who know and
those who do not know? It is those who are endued with
understanding that receive admonition."
10. Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord: good is
(the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is
Allah's earth! Those who patiently persevere will truly receive a
reward without measure!"
11. Say: "Verily I am commanded to serve Allah with sincere
12. "And I am commanded to be the first of those who bow to Allah
13. Say: "I would if I disobeyed my Lord indeed have fear of the
Penalty of a Mighty Day."
14. Say: "It is Allah I serve with my sincere (and exclusive)
15. "Serve ye what ye will besides Him." Say: "Truly those in
loss are those who lose their own souls and their People on the
Day of Judgement: Ah! that is indeed the (real and) evident
16. They shall have layers of fire above them and layers (of
fire) below them with this doth Allah warn off His servants: "O
my servants! Then fear ye Me!"
17. Those who eschew evil and fall not into its worship and turn
to Allah (in repentance) for them is Good News: so announce the
Good News to My Servants
18. Those who listen to the Word and follow the best (meaning) in
it: those are the ones whom Allah has guided and those are the
ones endued with understanding
19. Is then one against whom the decree of Punishment is justly
due (equal to one who eschews evil)? Wouldst thou then deliver
one (who is) in the fire?
20. But it is for those who fear their Lord that lofty mansions
one above another have been built: beneath them flow rivers (of
delight): (such is) the promise of Allah: never doth Allah fail
in (His) promise
21. Seest thou not that Allah sends down rain from the sky and
leads it through springs in the earth? Then He causes to grow
therewith produce of various colors: then it withers; thou wilt
see it grow yellow; then He makes it dry up and crumble away.
Truly in this is a Message of remembrance to men of understanding
22. Is one whose heart Allah has opened to Islam so that he has
received enlightenment from Allah (no better than one
hard-hearted)? Woe to those whose hearts are hardened against
celebrating the praises of Allah! They are manifestly wandering
23. Allah has revealed (from time to time) the most beautiful
message in the form of a Book consistent with itself (Yet)
repeating (its teaching in various aspects): the skins of those
who fear their Lord tremble thereat; then their skins and their
hearts do soften to the celebration of Allah's praises. Such is
the guidance of Allah: He guides therewith whom He pleases but
such as Allah leaves to stray can have none to guide
24. Is then one who has to fear the brunt of the Penalty on the
Day of Judgement (and receive it) on his face (like one guarded
therefrom)? It will be said to the wrongdoers: "Taste ye (the
fruits of) what ye earned!"
25. Those before them (also) rejected (revelation) and so the
Punishment came to them from directions they did not perceive
26. So Allah gave them a taste of humiliation in the present life
but greater is the Punishment of the Hereafter if they only knew!
27. We have put forth for men in this Qur'an every kind of
Parable in order that they may receive admonition
28. (It is) a Qur'an in Arabic without any crookedness (therein):
in order that they may guard against Evil
29. Allah puts forth a Parable a man belonging to many partners
at variance with each other and a man belonging entirely to one
master: are those two equal in comparison? Praise be to Allah!
But most of them have no knowledge
30. Truly thou wilt die (one day) and truly they (too) will die
31. In the end will ye (all) on the Day of Judgement settle your
disputes in the presence of your Lord
32. Who then doth more wrong than one who utters a lie concerning
Allah and rejects the truth when it comes to him? Is there not in
Hell an abode for blasphemers?
33. And he who brings the Truth and he who confirms (and
supports) it such are the men who do right
34. They shall have all that they wish for in the presence of
their Lord: such is the reward of those who do good
35. So that Allah will turn off from them (even) the worst in
their deeds and give them their reward according to the best of
what they have done
36. Is not Allah enough for His servant? But they try to frighten
thee with other (gods) besides him! For such as Allah leaves to
stray there can be no guide
37. And such as Allah doth guide there can be none to lead astray
is not Allah Exalted in Power (able to enforce His Will) Lord of
38. If indeed thou ask them who it is that created the heavens
and the earth they would be sure to say "Allah." Say: "See ye
then? The things that ye invoke besides Allah can they if Allah
wills some Penalty for me remove His Penalty? Or if He wills some
Grace for me can they keep back His Grace?" Say: "Sufficient is
Allah for me! In Him trust those who put their trust."
39. Say: "O my people! Do whatever ye can: I will do (my part):
but soon willye know
40. "Who it is to whom come a Penalty of ignominy and on whom
descends a Penalty that abides."
41. Verily We have revealed the Book to thee in Truth for
(instructing) mankind. He then that receives guidance benefits
his own soul: but he that strays injures his own soul. Nor art
thou set over them to dispose of their affairs
42. It is Allah that takes the souls (of men) at death: and those
that die not (He takes) during their sleep: those on whom He has
passed the decree of death He keeps back (from returning to life)
but the rest He sends (to their bodies) for a term appointed.
Verily in this are Signs for those who reflect
43. What! Do they take for intercessors others besides Allah?
Say: "Even if they have no power whatever and no intelligence?"
44. Say: "To Allah belongs exclusively (the right to grant)
Intercession: to Him belongs the dominion of the heavens and the
earth: in the End it is to Him that ye shall be brought back."
45. When Allah the One and Only is mentioned the hearts of those
who believe not in the Hereafter are filled with disgust and
horror; but when (gods) other than He are mentioned behold they
are filled with joy!
46. Say: "O Allah! Creator of the heavens and the earth! Knower
of all that is hidden and open! It is Thou that wilt judge
between Thy Servants in those matters about which they have
47. Even if the wrongdoers had all that there is on earth and as
much more (in vain) would they offer it for ransom from the pain
of the Penalty on the Day of Judgement: but something will
confront them from Allah which they could never have counted
48. For the evils of their Deeds will confront them and they will
be (completely) encircled by that which they used to mock at!
49. Now when trouble touches man he cries to Us; but when We
bestow a favor upon him as from Ourselves he says "This has been
given to me because of a certain knowledge (I have)!" Nay but
this is but a trial but most of them understand not!
50. Thus did the (generations) before them say! But all that they
did was of no profit to them
51. Nay the evil results of their deeds overtook them. And the
wrongdoers of this (generation) the evil results of their deeds
will soon overtake them (too) and they will never be able to
frustrate (Our Plan)!
52. Know they not that Allah enlarges the provision or restricts
it for any He pleases? Verily in this are signs for those who
53. Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their
souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all
sins: for He is Oft Forgiving Most Merciful
54. "Turn ye to your Lord (in repentance) and bow to His (Will)
before the Penalty comes on you: after that ye shall not be
55. "And follow the Best of (the courses) revealed to you from
your Lord before the Penalty comes on you of a sudden while ye
56. "Lest the soul should (then) say: Ah! woe is me! In that I
neglected (my duty) towards Allah and was but among those who
57. "Or (lest) it should say: `If only Allah had guided me I
should certainly have been among the righteous!
58. "Or (lest) it should say when it (actually) sees the Penalty:
`If only I had another chance I should certainly be among those
who do good!'
59. "(The reply will be) `Nay but there came to thee My signs and
thou didst reject them: thou wast haughty and became one of those
who reject Faith!'"
60. On the Day of Judgement wilt thou see those who told lies
against Allah their faces will be turned black; is there not in
Hell an abode for the Haughty?
61. But Allah will deliver the righteous to their place of
salvation: no evil shall touch them nor shall they grieve
62. Allah is the Creator of all things and He is the Guardian and
Disposer of all affairs
63. To Him belong the keys of the heavens and the earth: and
those who reject the Signs of Allah it is they who will be in
64. Say: "Is it someone other than Allah that ye order me to
worship O ye ignorant ones?"
65. But it has already been revealed to thee as it was to those
before thee "If thou wert to join (gods with Allah) truly
fruitless will be thy work (in life) and thou wilt surely be in
the ranks of those who lose (all spiritual good)."
66. Nay but worship Allah and be of those who give thanks
67. No just estimate have they made of Allah such as is due to
Him: on the Day of Judgement the whole of the earth will be but
His handful and the heavens will be rolled up in His right hand:
Glory to Him! High is He above the Partners they attribute to
68. The Trumpet will (just) be sounded when all that are in the
heavens and on earth will swoon except such as it will please
Allah (to exempt). Then will a second one be sounded when behold
they will be standing and looking on!
69. And the Earth will shine with the glory of its Lord: the
Record (of Deeds) will be placed (open); the prophets and the
witnesses will be brought forward: and a just decision pronounced
between them; and they will not be wronged (in the least)
70. And to every soul will be paid in full (the fruit) of its
deeds; and (Allah) knoweth best all that they do
71. The Unbelievers will be led to Hell in crowds; until when
they arrive there its gates will be opened and its Keepers will
say "Did not apostles come to you from among yourselves
rehearsing to you the Signs of your Lord and warning you of the
meeting of this Day of yours?" The answer will be: "True: but the
Decree of Punishment has been proved true against the
72. (To them) will be said: "Enter ye the gates of Hell to dwell
therein: and evil is (this) abode of the arrogant!"
73. And those who feared their Lord will be led to the Garden in
crowds: until behold they arrive there; its gates will be opened:
and its Keepers will say: "Peace be upon you! Well have ye done!
Enter ye here to dwell therein."
74. They will say: "Praise be to Allah Who has truly fulfilled
His promise to us and has given us (this) land in heritage: we
can dwell in the Garden as we will: how excellent a reward for
those who work (righteousness)!"
75. And thou wilt see the angels surrounding the Throne (Divine)
on all sides singing Glory and Praise to their Lord. The Decision
between them (at Judgment) will be in (perfect) justice. And the
cry (on all sides) will be "Praise be to Allah the Lord of the
Back To Index Page