#68. Qalam *SURAH*
In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful
1. Nun. By the Pen and by the (Record) which (men) write
2. Thou art not by the grace of thy Lord mad or possessed
3. Nay verily for thee is a Reward unfailing:
4. And thou (standest) on an exalted standard of character
5. Soon wilt thou see and they will see
6. Which of you is afflicted with madness
7. Verily it is thy Lord that knoweth best which (among men) hath
strayed from His Path: and He knoweth best those who receive
8. So hearken not to those who deny (the Truth)
9. Their desire is that thou shouldst be pliant; so would thy be
10. Need not the type of despicable man ready with oaths
11. A slanderer going about with calumnies
12. (Habitually) hindering (all) good transgressing beyond bounds
deep in sin
13. Violent (and cruel) with all that base-born
14. Because he possesses wealth and (numerous) sons
15. When to him are rehearsed Our Signs "Tales of the Ancients"
16. Soon shall We brand (the beast) on the snout!
17. Verily We have tried them as We tried the people of the
Garden when they resolved to gather the fruits of the (garden) in
18. But made no reservation ("If it be Allah's Will")
19. So there came on the (garden) a visitation from thy from thy
Lord (which swept away) all around while they were asleep.
20. So the (garden) became by the morning like a dark and
desolate spot (whose fruit had been gathered)
21. As the morning broke they called out one to another
22. "Go ye to your tilth (betimes) in morning if ye would gather
23. So they departed conversing in secret low tones (saying)
24. "Let not a single indigent person break in upon you into the
(garden) this day."
25. And they opened the morning strong in an (unjust) resolve
26. But when they saw the (garden) they said: "We have surely
lost our way:
27. "Indeed we are shut out (of the fruits of our labor)!"
28. Said one of them more just (than the rest): "Did I not say to
you `Why not glorify (Allah)?'"
29. They said: "Glory to our Lord! Verily we have been doing
30. Then they turned one against another in reproach
31. They said: "Alas for us! We have indeed transgressed!
32. "It may be that our Lord will give us in exchange a better
(garden) than this: for we do turn to Him (in repentance)!"
33. Such is the Punishment (in this life); but greater is the
Punishment in the Hereafter if only they knew!
34. Verily for the righteous are Gardens of Delight in the
Presence of their Lord
35. Shall We then treat the People of Faith like the People of
36. What is the matter with you? How judge ye?
37. Or have ye a Book through which ye learn
38. That ye shall have through it whatever ye choose?
39. Or have ye Covenants with Us on oath reaching to the Day of
Judgment (providing) that ye shall have whatever ye shall demand?
40. Ask thou of them which of them will stand surety of that!
41. Or have they some "Partners" (in Allah)? Then let them
produce their "partners" if they are truthful!
42. The Day that the shin shall be laid bare and they shall be
summoned to bow in adoration but they shall not be able
43. Their eyes will be cast down ignominy will cover them; seeing
that they had been summoned aforetime to bow in adoration while
they were whole (and had refused)
44. Then leave Me alone with such as reject this message: by
degrees shall We punish them from directions they perceive not.
45. A (long) respite will I grant them: truly powerful is My plan
46. Or is it that thou dost ask them for a reward so that they
are burdened with a load of debt?
47. Or that they Unseen is in their hands so that they can write
48. So wait with patience for the command of thy Lord and be not
like the Companion of the Fish when he cried out in agony.
49. Had not Grace from His Lord reached him he would indeed have
been cast off on the naked shore in disgrace
50. Thus did his Lord choose him and make him of the company of
51. And the Unbelievers would almost trip thee up with their eyes
when they hear the message; and they say: "Surely he is
Back To Index Page
52. But it is nothing less than a Message to all the worlds